
So, after months of going back and forth trying to decide whether or not to make a blog, I finally did. Thanks for the inspiration, Lorraine!
I haven't made a blog yet, because I didn't really know what to write about, but today provided an event that I was dying to share with several different people and figured this was an easier way to tell the story!
This afternoon, I was chit-chatting with some of the kindergarteners at recess when one the the kids stopped mid-sentence and yelled out "Rabbit!" I looked over to see a large crowd of kindergarteners gathering by the fence looking at something. Rabbit? Nope! It was a little baby deer! It looked about a week or two old. It looked similar to the above pic. One of the other kindergarten teacher's and I started to figure out how to get the poor baby out of the fence. We were able to get it to run from the fenced in playground through the gate that opened into the fenced in soccer field. We couldn't figure out how in the world he got in, but saw a hole going under the fence, so are assuming that's how he got in. The kids are not allowed into the field, so were all pressed up against the fence watching as Renee and I tried to corner him to get him out. I caught up to the him first, and by now he was banging his head really hard on the fence and crying! I felt so bad for him! We also thought he might be hurt, because Renee saw him hit something on the playground with his leg and then limp. When I got really close, he laid on the ground and played dead. Renee started shouting to pick him up, so after getting up some nerve (I was afraid he'd bite), I picked up the poor guy! He continued to play dead as I carried him out of the field area, both of us petting his head trying to calm him. His little heart was pounding! She opened the fence and I laid him in the grass. We closed up the fence and walked away, but he was so scared he continued to play dead. I don't blame him! There were 5 classes of kindergarteners, plus a second grade class, pressed up against the fence watching. About 15 mins later, someone took a picture and the flash scared him, so he ran off. His leg turned out to be fine. We called animal control earlier when we thought he might be hurt, but they didn't come out since he was ok and was off the property. We were worried our scent would scare off his mom, but we couldn't leave him to fend for himself among 100 kindergarteners, and we couldn't let him keep ramming his head into the fence... I proceeded to go home and scrub in the shower because I realized I'm not in FL anymore and there are nasty things like ticks to worry about. :) (Thankfully, no ticks on me!) Inquisitive me LOVED getting to see the deer so close up, though! And, it was hilarious- the guidance counselor went into a K class this afternoon and the kids told her all about it. She relayed some quotes from them: "I saved its life", am "a hero", and the funniest... I'm "Supergirl!" HAHAHAHAHA! Gotta love 5 year olds!
So, there you go, I finally made a blog and I finally had something to say! Don't expect this very often, though!
1 comment:
so glad you're blogging. it's a fun way to share with the world... i'm excited to catch up and read the posts.
Post a Comment